Help, I have been stung by a Bee!

News & Articles

Posted January 20, 2023 by Sarah Malone
Category: Advice, Bees

Bees are an important part of our environment however being stung by a bee is never a good thing.

A bee sting can be painful, but for most people they are not a serious health concern. However, some individuals may be allergic to bee venom and may experience more severe reactions.

If you find yourself outside in the garden and have been stung by a bee, here are some steps your can take to treat the sting:

  1. Remove the stinger as soon as possible: If the stinger is left in the skin, it can continue to inject venom for a short period of time. To remove the stinger, gently scrape it off with a fingernail or a credit card. Do not use tweezers, as this can squeeze more venom into the wound.
  2. Clean the wound: Wash the area with soap and water to help prevent infection.
  3. Apply a cold compress: Placing a cold compress or an ice pack on the sting can help reduce swelling and pain.
  4. Take over-the-counter pain medication: You can take acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) or ibuprofen (e.g. Advil) to help alleviate pain and reduce inflammation.
  5. Keep an eye on the sting: If the sting is on a limb, elevate it to help reduce swelling. If the sting is on the face, neck, or chest, or if you experience difficulty breathing, hives, or dizziness, seek medical attention immediately as these can be signs of a severe allergic reaction.

It is important to note that some bees and wasps can be aggressive and may sting multiple times, so it’s important to remove yourself from the area as quickly as possible.

If you are allergic to bee stings or if you are stung multiple times, seek medical attention as soon as possible.

For more information on how to treat bees contact our office